I am writing to update you on the readiness level for our three metros and the changes communicated by UK Scouts to the AMBER readiness level.
Following the government’s decision to remove Wigan (local authority) from the Greater Manchester local restrictions, we made the decision to move Wigan Metro (Lilford and Wigan Districts) back to the AMBER readiness level. This was communicated to members in the effected Districts by their District Commissioner.
Salford and Trafford Metros remain on the RED readiness level and no face-to-face Scouting is permitted until further notice. This decision has been made in line with government restrictions.
The current readiness levels in Greater Manchester West:
Changes to the AMBER Readiness Level
Effective 3rd September, there have been several changes to the AMBER readiness level in England, a decision made by UK Scouts on advice from the National Youth Agency (NYA). These changes are as follows:
- Indoor activities are now allowed, but outdoor activities are preferred and should be encouraged
- Numbers change to 15 young people and up to 5 leaders (carers can be in addition and will not be counted in these numbers) – this applies both indoors and outdoors. Leaders can also include Young Leaders.
- Young people must stay in their limited group size but adults will now be able to move between these groups, i.e. across the 25m spacing if outdoors or to a section meeting at a different time on the same day.
- Leaders don’t need to wear a face covering when delivering activities – however, it’s recommended to wear one in all other circumstances while indoors.
- Scouts and Explorers must now wear face coverings indoors. Exceptions as per national guidelines are permitted.
For now, all young people in all sections must continue to social distance by 2m from each other where possible and from adult volunteers at all times.
For anyone who has already had a risk assessment accepted, you will not need to start again, but simply review and amend the risk assessment and resubmit to your District Commissioner for approval.
Please remember, these changes are only applicable for groups operating in Wigan Metro (Wigan and Lilford District) until other metros move to the AMBER readiness level.
If you have any questions about these updated changes, please contact your District Commissioner. We will communicate any further changes to readiness levels in due course.