The County adventurous activities (AA) Scout Active Support Unit was founded on and operates primarily on two main principles:
- To provide a mechanism for more young people in Scouting to have safe and sustainable access to adventurous activities, on a readily available basis.
- To provide a social environment for like-minded adults in Scouting to enjoy their chosen activity in the company of others: away from the regular chaos of other Scouting commitments.
The special projects (SP) element of the Unit is the team responsible for planning, organising and running our regular overseas expeditions (for both youth and adult members). For instance our Toubkal expedition to Morocco in 2015, our upcoming rock climbing trip to the High Atlas mountains in summer 2018, or our Trans American Express tour to North America in summer 2019.
Since 2015, the Unit has helped facilitate training and assessment for adults in Scouting looking to gain activity permits.
The Scout adventurous activity permit scheme is aimed at leaders with previous experience in the given activity who wish to seek assessment in order to acquire the permit, thus enabling them to provide the activity (within Scouting) to our youth members.
The Scout Active Support Unit is open to any adult in Scouting wishing to partake in / help deliver, train or assess others in adventurous activities (both at home and overseas).
At present we have the capability (qualified instructors & equipment) to offer the following activities, however we are always to looking to expand this further:
- Hillwalking (Provide activity support, training and assessment)
- Climbing & Abseiling (Provide activity support, training and assessment)
- Archery (Provide activity support, training and assessment)
- Tomahawk Throwing (Provide activity support)
Note: Activity support can be anything from running a session at a Group, District or County event; to assisting leaders with elements of the section programme, by offering sessions catered to achieve the requirements of a specific activity / challenge badge i.e. Explorers Climbers Badge or Hillwalking as an activity towards the Scouts Adventure Challenge.
For further information on joining, to find out about upcoming training, to arrange an assessment or simply to find out when our next social is, please keep up to date with us on Facebook or contact email@example.com